OUR BRIEF HISTORY
The high school in Malvern started as Malvern Secondary School in 1948, when Standard IV, V and VI pupils moved across Conabor Lane from Malvern Government School, to the newly built premises. A few years later its name changed to Malvern High School. In 1952 Malvern (which included Escombe, Northdene and Moseley) received municipal status and changed its name to Queensburgh to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain. At prize-giving on December 13, 1954, it was announced that the school would be re-named Queensburgh High School.
The history of QGHS is closely linked to that of Malvern Primary School, formerly Malvern Government School. A principal of the latter school, Mr Gluning, designed the badge in the 1920s. The two “fountains” drawn as wavy lines represent the Umbilo and Umhlatuzana Rivers, between which Malvern is situated. The hunting horns denote the Cadet Corp that was founded in 1907 and marched on the fields to drums and bugles. When the school was re-named QHS in 1954, the crown was added to the school badge.
CONABOR, “I shall try”, was taken from the London College where Mr Gluning trained as a teacher. The colours, bottle green and yellow, were likewise inherited from the original Malvern Government School.
On 28 January 1969, Queensburgh Girls’ High School came into being. The Principal, Ms E. E. Hallowes, had been in charge of the girls at the co-educational Queensburgh High School. After twelve years as principal, she retired having given thirty-two years of service to high school education in Malvern/Queensburgh.
Ms Oosthuizen-Jones was principal from 1981 to 1993. Ms Oosthuizen-Jones was an experienced English teacher formerly from Pretoria. She is credited with writing the lyrics for the school song, set to the upbeat tune of “Green are the hills of Natal”.
Under the principalship of Ms Gerber, who attended QGHS as a pupil, the school became non-racial, fulfilling the words of The Freedom Charter: “The Doors Of Learning And Of Culture Shall Be Opened”. The current serving principal is Mrs S. Motheeram who took up office in 2012. Mrs Motheeram’s commitment to excellence is evident in all facets of school life
To view and download pictures from the Old Girls' Tea photobook click the link below.